HISTORY OF THE OLD RAIL POST
to Photo Archives may be a little slow
After a few preliminary meetings in January and February 1946, Old Rail Post No. 6025, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, was instituted and chartered on February 24, 1946.
The Installing Officer was Fank Weipert, Commander, Department of Maryland,
Officers installed for the first year included George W. Koontz, Commander; George R. Shaffer, Senior Vice Commander; John W. Seder, Adjutant; Robert Mulligan, Quarter, Charles Johnson, Chaplain; Edward I. Murray, Post Judge Advocate; John W. Cunningham, Surgeon; William Lancaster, Officer of the Day; William Witte, Edward Stowell and James E. Crump, Trustees.
The J. O. U. A. M. building was procured as the first meeting room After some inquiry and effort on the part of the building committee, which consisted of Charles King, Edward Murray, lames E. Cramp, William Witte, Edward Stowell, and Joseph Porter, the Dan Howard Theater Building was purchased from the Mount Savage Amusement Company. Extensive repairs and alterations were made to the building.
On July 7, 1946, the Post home was officially dedicated. James E. Crump was the Master of Ceremonies_ The invocation was given by Rev. Michael Smyth, St. Patrick's Church. A prayer was offered by Rev. R. Richcreek, Mount Savage Methodist Church. The benediction was given by Rev. Rudolph Gunkel, St George's Church. The principal speaker was Judge-elect George Henderson Cumberland, MD. Mr. M. J. Mullaney also gave a short address. The Mount Savage Band, under the direction of Thomas Lewis, rendered the music for the occasion.
The first of anual Christmas parties for the children of the community was had on Sunday evening, December 29, 1946.
On January 22, 1947, a new wheel chair, purchased by the Post for the use of the community, was displayed for the first time.
The first of a series of annual Memorial Day Services, in cooperation with the local American Legion Post, was held on May 30, 1947. Howard G. Blank of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and Joseph Carter of the American Legion were co-chairmen for the service.
In May 1948, the Color Guard and Firing Squad was organized by Commander Howard Blank. The Color Guard and Firing Squad participates in all military funerals and Memorial Day and Veteran's Day programs,
Since the Post has been opened, it has sponsored many social events for the members as well as the community.
Still to this day, Old Rail Post 6025, Veterans of Foreign Wars, is dedicated to the welfare of its members and the community. Annual Memorial and Veteran's Day programs are held at all ...churches and cemeteries.
The Post is loyal to the youth of the community through sponsorship of youth leagues, donations to local charity organizations, and support for the local school's programs.
This coming year, July 7, 1996, Old Rail Post will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary. With the help of our membership, Old Rail Post will keep the tradition alive as a loyal veterans organization and an asset to the community.
OFFICERS OF OLD RAIL POST 6025 1995-96
Commander Roy Stafford
Senior Vice Commander George Robinson
Junior Vice Commander Robert Frankenberry
Chaplain William (Bob) Sites
Quartermaster James Hotchkiss
Surgeon Tom Stimmell
Advocate Steve Watkins
Adjutant George Robinson
Trustees Hubert Conway, Ronald Powell, Bernard Smith Tom Kilduff, Jr.
AUXILIARY HISTORYThe Ladies Auxiliary to Old Rail Post 9 6025 V. F. W. was instituted and Charter granted on May 8, 1949. The Installing Officer was Mrs. Helen Stevens of John R. Fahgrieve Posh Frostburg, MD, who organized the group.
Charter officers were President, Iris Stowell; Sr. Vice President, Fern Seder; Jr. Vice President, Dorothy Witte; Secretary, Lanm Murray, Treasurer, Edna Chmvh; Conductress, Sue Crump: Chaplain, Mary Alice Windemuth; Patriotic Instructress, Margaret I larden_ Trustee 3 c ., Catherine Porter, Trustee 2 yrs., Anna Mary Bev, Trustee 1 r _ Irullie Krabbenhofl. Guard, Irene Blank; Color Bearers, Margaret Crump, Agnes Crump, Kathleen Smith, Helen Lepley, Musician, Anna Mary Bevei; and Historian, Florence Monahan.
The Auxiliary's contributions to community service have included donations to the Red Cross, March of Dimas, Heart Fund, Cutter Society, Community Chest, and support of needy families. The Auxiliary has donated m the Mount Savage School over the years and has participated in numerous veteran's functions.
The social activity highlights have included card parties. cold plate suppers. and the annual Halloween and Christmas parties for the children of the community.
In the coming year we rely hope that each of our members will take as her personal goal the attainment of the awards offered by National Headquarters for securing new members to this worthwhile organization.
AUXILIARY OFFICERS OLD RAIL POST 6025
President Dot Stimmell
Sen for Vice President Joanne Ryan
Junior Vice President Janet Robinson
Chaplain Joyce Wolfe
Guard Peg Beal
Secretary Patty Carter
Conductress Helen Conway
Treasurer Elizabeth Powell
Trustees Linda Yates May Martha Sites Rose Clites
Pahiotic Instructor Isabelle Edmiston
Return to Index